Wedding Countdown

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Proposal Story Part 2

by Rebekah

About ten days before he proposed, Junius suggested we have a date night in which he make dinner. He does this every so often so it did not strike me as the least bit out of the ordinary.

When I arrived at Junius' house, he had new lit tapers on the table and the house smelled delicious. He had been cooking all afternoon. We opened a bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape, which our friends at the Wine Thief had picked for us. (For me New Haven is small town living and having an excellent neighborhood wine shop is one of the perks!)

Dinner was a Bermuda salad, dutch potatoes, and salmon, which all tasted amazing. But while I was enjoying the feast, Junius was just nibbling on his dinner. As soon as I slowed down, he hopped up and said "I have something else for you. Stay right there." After a couple of minutes, I called up asking if he'd lost it.

"Why don't you come up here?"

At the top of the stairs, there were rose petals which I followed into J's room where there were petals all over the room as well as candles and bouquets of flowers. Junius had me sit down as he read me a very sweet letter he had written which ended with "will you marry me?" I imagine if you are reading this blog you know my answer. I was really surprised because I expected him to propose in January, not November 1.

We spent about 15 minutes calling family members and then he said we had one more place to go. So we hopped in the car and drove to the church. There were about 30 of our friends gathered there to celebrate with us. They had brought champagne, wine, freshly roasted coffee, tea and desserts. It was fantastic. I was really impressed that so many people knew Junius was about to propose and didn't give it away. I later heard stories of people seeing me in the hallway the week before the proposal and turning around to walk the other way so they wouldn't have to talk to me and risk giving something away. Fortunately(?) CPC members are pretty sly because I didn't notice anything.

1 comment:

Michelle Wofsey said...

Hi Junius and Rebekah!

Rebekah, I would love to meet you sometime. Junius and I have been friends since my sophomore year in college, but I haven't gotten to see him in a while.

I love that you told the proposal story in two parts – very adorable to hear Junius' nervousness beforehand, and Rebekah's excitement afterward!

Best,
Michelle